Fixed ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR. Activated https + MaxCDN EdgeSSL + Cloudflare Full Strict SSL

Before 2016 ends, I made sure that this blog is more secure. Just like most WordPress users (and since SSL is now for free, thanks to Letsencrypt), I activated SSL at jehzlau-concepts.com! Now https://www.jehzlau-concepts.com is redirected to https://www.jehzlau-concepts.com/. MaxCDN url is also updated to a shared SSL CDN url, then Cloudflare cryptography SSL settings is set to Full (Strict).

Enabling https in WordPress is pretty simple, I didn’t even modify any WordPress files (e.g. wp-config.php) nor the famous .htaccess file. I just installed 2 plugins, and voila, everything in this blog is now working smoothly with https enabled! The two plugins I installed are: Really Simple SSL by Rogier Lankhorst and Easy HTTPS (SSL) Redirection by Tips and Tricks HQ.

Just make sure you already have SSL installed in your host. If you encountered a ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR, you just need change your nameservers back to your default nameservers. The ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR usually occurs when you’re using Cloudflare. If you switch it back to your host’s nameserver, then switch it back to Cloudflare after a few hours, then that error will vanish miraculously.

If you’re using a CDN like MaxCDN, make sure your Edge SSL is enabled, then change your CDN URL to the SSL URL under Pull Zones > EdgeSSL. You can also use a custom subdomain, just point your CNAME to your SSL URL. In my case, I pointed securecdn.jehzlau-concepts.com to cdn-jehzeellaurente.netdna-ssl.com.

Then that’s it! You’re all done! No nasty code changes.

UPDATE 12/30/2016: I just found out that all my images in all blog posts are still in http. So I installed another plugin called Better Search Replace. Then replaced all http to https, and it resolved the issue. So a total of 3 plugins need to be installed if you’re planning to switch to https soon.

More from my site

  • W3TC: Remove query strings from static resources quick tip Just a quick tip for those who are using the famous W3TC (W3 Total Cache) caching plugin for WordPress. If you're a Page-Load-Speed freak, and you're checking how fast your blog loads day […]
  • Weird WordPress Bug: latest post becomes a site name I just found out about this today, and I thought it's a WordPress bug. It's actually an All In One SEO Pack bug. After upgrading to All In One SEO Pack version 2.3.11, my latest blog post […]
  • Testing Calypso Recently, Calypso was released by Automattic and everybody seems to love it. You can read more about Calypso in Matt's blog. According to what I've read, Calypso is really fast that's why […]
  • Achieve 99% in GTMetrix easily Finally! I achieved the grade of double 99% in Gossamer Threads metrix using my old Jehzlau Concepts theme that I will make publicly available for download very soon. I'm still tweaking my […]
  • 0.6s load time in GTMetrix after switching to https I finally achieved 0.6s load time in GTMetrix after switching to https + doing some minor tweaks in my W3TC settings. Proof: https://gtmetrix.com/reports/www.jehzlau-concepts.com/WN5evABj. […]
  • Switched to HHVM from PHP 7 This WordPress blog is currently running on HHVM (Out of curiosity, I just switched even if I haven't tested it yet locally). If you noticed some errors on specific pages in this blog, […]

4 thoughts on “Fixed ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR. Activated https + MaxCDN EdgeSSL + Cloudflare Full Strict SSL

  1. Pingback: Nyok Nyok » Blog Archive » Fixed ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR. Activated https + MaxCDN EdgeSSL + Cloudflare Full Strict SSL

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *